[UEB] Dene

Donald Winiecki dwiniecki at handid.org
Fri Oct 2 10:40:14 EDT 2020

Hi Bruce,

As I'm sure you've already confirmed, UEB 10.6.8 indicates we should use
the lower groupsign for "en" or "in" wherever the letters appear *unless
other rules limit its use.*

That phrase "unless other rules limit its use" always sends a shiver down
my spine, but because I "*Keep Calm and UEB On!*" I've gotten passable at
interrogating the rulebook. I don't find any rules that negate 10.6.8.
While, rule 10.10, 10.12 and its subparts provide some considerations, none
seem to apply. In particular:

10.10.8 allows use of alternative groupsigns to more nearly approximate
usual pronunciation, but there are no alternative groupsigns in Dene.

10.10.9 allows us to not use a groupsign if it would seriously distort
pronunciation or recognition of a word. I'm not convinced this is the case
here, and besides, this rule is pretty far down in rule 10.10, so it would
seem to be of fairly low priority anyway.

10.12.6 and 10.12.7 allow transcriber decisions when pronunciation or
syllabification is unknown. This doesn't apply here.

But as always, I am happy to be corrected.

Best,

_don 😷