[UEB] Dene

phyllisland at rogers.com phyllisland at rogers.com
Fri Oct 2 10:55:47 EDT 2020

I see no reason not to use the "en" in Dene.

I looked back and see that we Canadians decided not to contract it in our
Problem Word List but I couldn't see a reason for the decision.  Maybe
someone else remembers.

In research in online dictionaries, there is an old English word, dene
(deen) which refers to sand dunes.  The word Dene for people in Nunavut is
pronounced in two syllables (den-ee or den-eh) and comes from French
(spelled the same but with an acute accent on each "e").

Phyllis

Phyllis Landon

Member ICEB Code Maintenance Committee