[UEB] Question about Symbol defined as "Horizontal Line Mode Indicator" - dots 5, 25

Donald Winiecki dwiniecki at handid.org
Mon Oct 12 08:06:56 EDT 2020

Hi Peg,

>From your description that seems more like a "note separator line" as
defined in "Braille Formats" -- section 16.5 in that reference. To your
question #3, this is different from the "line mode indicator" in RUEB, but
your question makes it apparent that there should be some consideration in
RUEB about the overlapping uses of this particular indicator! (My suspicion
is that the transcriber who produced the manuscript you are proofreading
has applied some or a lot of discretionary judgment when formatting those
journal entries. With the little information provided, I would guess the
transcriber "followed print" rather than referenced details in BF or RUEB.)

Following BF 16.5:

To your question #1, the note separator line does not itself require a
blank line before or after it. Following BF 16.5.1.b only when other
conditions require a blank line. BF uses the example of a situation where
the line is used following a list, where the end of a list requires a blank
line following.

To your question #2, the note separation line is not a UEB symbol, and
there is no indication in BF that it should be included on the "special
symbols page."

I don't find anything in BF to indicate that the note separator line can't
be centered, but all examples in BF show it starting in cell 1 at the left
margin. BF 16.6 indicates that gloss notes in foreign language texts should
use margins 7-5.

Finally, notes are provided a lot of space and address a lot of variations
in BF. Your four questions seem very straightforward, but it may be worth
the time to investigate all of the sub-sections on notes to see if other
things apply in your case.

Hope this helps,

_don 😷