[UEB] Question about Symbol defined as "Horizontal Line Mode Indicator" - dots 5, 25

Peg Mercer pmercer51 at shaw.ca
Mon Oct 12 16:49:49 EDT 2020

Hi, Phyllis and Don.

Thanks so much for your help. Yes, the horizontal line is centred in print and appears to be used in instances where the person cannot remember the date for her journal entry. (FYI, I’m reading “A Desperate Road to Freedom” by Karleen Bradford – in case any of you are familiar with it?)

The transcriber did use the note separation line to represent this horizontal line in print and centred it in braille which is probably okay. For the journal entries with dates, these were cell-5 headings (and were right justified in print.)

Anyway, I think it may be okay to have it centred in braille as it’s not being used for note separation. I’ll ask the transcriber to omit the listing from the symbols page, however, as the reference to horizontal line indicator could be confusing.

Thanks so much. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. ☺

Peg